Tuesday, May 23, 2017

This Beautiful Fantastic will make you dig in your garden again


Movie Title:  This Beautiful Fantastic

Grade:  B

Rating: PG, 1 hour 32 minutes

In a Nutshell: Garden metaphors about life and friendship grow as this quirky "modern fairy tale" develops in this limited release.  

Uplifting theme: 
  • “Today I’m going to make a difference.” – Bella Brown (Jessica Brown Findlay)
  • Responsibility
  • Friendship
  • Everything that matters takes time.” – Alfie Stephenson (Tom Wilkinson)

Things I liked:
  • I loved the magical score throughout the film.
  • Jessica Brown Findlay does a great job as the odd protagonist who has a Keira Knightly quality about her.
  • The Nazi librarian, her signs, and her garden name (Bramble) were hilarious, played by Anna Chancellor.
  • Andrew Scott was entertaining as Vernon.
  • You’re probably going to want to go outside and work in your garden or create one.
  • Luna was lovely.
  • I loved the last scene.
  • Clever, witty dialogue.



Things I didn’t like:
  • So, the title….ummm
  • As a landlord, I wasn’t amused by Bella’s lack of interest in taking care of the property she was renting.
  • As a former employer, I also wasn’t amused by how Bella was shocked about being fired after showing up late for work every day.
  • Pretty predictable.

Funny lines:
  • “I’m not a religious man, but I believe someone sent her here to test us.” – Alfie
  • “Don’t worry, tea is on its way.” – Milly (Eileen Davies) Such a British thing to say.
  • “Slavery was abolished in 1834, just so you know.” – Vernon (Andrew Scott)
“This country has been going down the drain ever since.” – Alfie
  • “I was just trying to tidy up a bit.” – Bella
“I think that’s what Hitler said about Europe.” – Alfie
  • “I’m speechless.” – Bella
“If only that were true.” – Alfie


Interesting lines:
  • “You should doubt only a man who changes his story.  I only repeat myself in vague hope that one day somebody will actually hear me.” – Alfie
  • “Look!  These monkwoods, so beautiful and poisonous they’ll kill a man.  That’s an interesting contradiction, isn’t it?” – Alfie 

Tips for parents: 
  • Most kids will be pretty bored.
  • Clean language


MOVIE REVIEW MOM


@trinaboice 

No comments: