Movie Title: Sing
Rating: PG, 108 minutes
In a Nutshell: All creatures great and small will really enjoy this delightful musical journey brought to us by the clever creators of Minions and Despicable Me.
The music is fun and uplifting, the animation is imaginative and ADORABLE, and the story is heartwarming and inspiring.
- “Dream big dreams!” – Mr. Moon (Matthew McConaughey)
- “Don’t let fear stop you from doing the thing you love.” – Mr. Moon
- “Do what you love to do, then you won’t be afraid, because you’re doing it!” Mr. Moon
- “You know, the one thing that’s good about hitting rock bottom? The only way is up.” – Mr. Moon
Things I liked:
- There is a lot of good, toe-tapping music that can’t help but make you leave the theater in a good mood, 65 hit songs to be exact. There’s a nice variety of styles of music too.
- There are so many entertaining animals to see in every frame.
- The main characters are voiced by extremely talented A-List actors, such as Academy Award winners Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, and Seth MacFarlane.
- All of the actors do their own singing! Tori Kelly, Taron Egerton, and
- Each of the characters struggle in his/her own way, adding several layers to the story.
- The scene where Mr. Moon is at the carwash is HILARIOUS and absolutely adorable. It’s a scene that will stick with you for a long time. The audience was howling with laughter.
- You can smell the ending a mile away, but there are a few twists and turns that keep the characters in peril and the audience engaged.
- The talented cast who voiced the characters is an impressive list that includes some names you haven’t seen in some time or ever in animated films, including Laraine Newman, Rhea Perlman, Jennifer Saunders, Nick Offerman, Leslie Jones, and John C. Reilly.
Things I didn’t like:
- There is some really bad behavior from a lot of the characters: Johnny’s dad robs banks; Mike the mouse is a deceitful, cranky bully and con man; Mr. Moon is dishonest and steals things; Eddie is spoiled and lazy.
- “Stand back…moody teenager in the way.” – Mike (Seth MacFarlane)
- “You can’t just sing; you have to show the fire and desire!” – Gunter (Nick Kroll)
- “Wonder and magic don’t come easy.” – Mr. Moon
Tips for parents:
- It’s a kid’s movie, so yes…there is farting.
- No profanity.
- There are criminal acts by several of the characters.