Saturday, December 24, 2016

Passengers explores outer space and the inner heart

Movie Title:   Passengers

Grade:   B

Rating:   PG-13, 116 minutes

In a Nutshell:  While some movie critics have argued that this film is tedious and boring, I would contend that the film intentionally captures a little bit of what it must feel like to be stranded alone on a spaceship like that.  That’s the point.  We need each other.  Life is meaningless, unless we have someone to share it with. 

I enjoyed the movie and tried to imagine myself in the same situations, wondering what I would do when faced with the same decisions.  It’s a movie less about discovering the great spaces in the universe, but more about humanity and what we find inside our heart.

Uplifting theme: 
  • “We all have dreams.  We plan our futures like we’re captains of our fate, but we’re passengers.  We go where fate takes us.” - Aurora
  • “You don’t have to do something amazing to be happy.” – Aurora’s best friend.  (The actress’ real name is Aurora!)
  • You can’t get hung up on where you’d rather be that you don’t appreciate where you are.
  • “Take a break from what you can’t control.” – Arthur (Michael Sheen)
  • Humanity, companionship, sacrifice, love.

Things I liked:
  • Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence are two of the most popular actors in Hollywood right now and I liked them together. They’re both extremely talented and charismatic.
  • Incredible views of space.  The CGI and real life are blended very well.
  • I wish I had that body scanner/repair machine!  I’d also like one of those Roomba-type floor vacuum robots!
  • Jim eats dragon fruit for breakfast.  It’s that super alien-looking pink fruit cut in a square that is white on the inside with black polka dots on the inside.  Try some!
  • It’s really good in 3D and on the big screen.
  • I loved that swimming pool with a view!  It was pretty crazy when the anti-gravity kicked in.
  • Directed by Morten Tyldum, the same guy who did The Imitation Game which I loved.
  • The spaceship design is pretty cool-looking.
  • Aurora is a writer, which always catches my attention (my 21st book was just hit store shelves this month!)
  • Aurora says, “Give me a cup of coffee and a view of the Chrysler building and I can write all day.” Jim provides that for her in a way which I thought was so sweet.  It’s those simple acts of kindness and thoughtfulness for another person that is the essence of love.

Things I didn’t like:
  • What you see in the trailer is what you get.
  • Some movie critics have said the film looks like it’s on auto-pilot. 
  • If they told this story in a different order, it could have been even more interesting.
  • The “thing” that happens in the third act is super brief.  I wish it had been explored more.
  • SPOILER ALERT: I thought it was odd to cast Andy Garcia, because he didn’t even have a line in the movie; any Extra could have done as good a job in that spot.
  • This movie script sat for a long time before anyone picked it up, making you wonder what other directors could have done with it.



Interesting lines:
  • “No!  You die, I die!” – Aurora  (Sounds like a line from the The Hunger Games)
  • “I think we tell each other stories to know we’re not alone, to make contact.”  - Aurora
  • “Can’t slogans be true?” – Jim
  • “You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen.  You kill me.” – Jim
  • “Jim and I live in accidental happiness.” – Aurora

Funny lines:
  • “Jim, these are not robot questions.” – Arthur
  • “Jim, I’m not just a bartender.  I’m a gentleman.” – Arthur
  • “You went shopping.” – Aurora
“I went shoplifting.” – Jim
  • “I was giving you space.” – Jim
“Space – the one thing that I don’t need more of.” – Aurora
  • “Ladies love the dress blues.” – Gus Mancuso (Laurence Fishburne)

Tips for parents:   

  • There are a few moments of Aurora and Jim getting “romantic”, as well as a scene where you see hazy naked figures.
  • Some profanity.

No comments: