Friday, October 27, 2017

Suburbicon is a messy disappointment

Movie Title:   Suburbicon

Grade:  D

Rating: R

In a Nutshell:  Nope.  Hated it. The film tries to be a drama, dark comedy, murder thriller, and social commentary all at the same time, but it’s a messy downer.   I felt like I just wasted a part of my life.  Dang it.

Actor/Director George Clooney and the Coen writing brothers have talent, but it’s not revealed in this movie.  Super disappointing.

Uplifting theme: 
  • Hypocrasy
  • Racism

Things I liked:
  • The 1950’s tone was well done.
  • The talented cast did a great job with the material they were given, especially Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, and Oscar Isaac.

Things I didn’t like:
  • The trailer was extremely deceiving.  It makes the film look like a fun, dark comedy with quirky characters.  Well, I guess it was those things, but without the fun.
  • It reminded me of another ugly film that had great acting talent in it, but left me wanting to take a shower.  In 1989, Tom Hanks starred in the mystery thriller The Burbs.  



Tips for parents: 
  • Lots of profanity, including F-bombs.
  • The film shows a black family being bullied and violently attacked.
  • There are slurs against Jews and Episcopalians.
  • A child walks in on a couple having sex (no nudity).
  • Bloody, violent deaths.
  • Dead bodies killed in violent ways.


MOVIE REVIEW MOM

@trinaboice 

No comments: