Saturday, October 21, 2017

Happy Death Day takes a creepy stab at the movie Groundhog Day


Movie Title: Happy Death Day

Grade:  C+

Rating: PG-13, 

In a Nutshell:  This is like a warped, creepy version of Groundhog Day.  I have loved that fun movie for years, so I was curious to see what this suspenseful horror flick would do with it.  I thought it was funny at the end of the movie when Israel's character says,  “This reminds me of that movie Groundhog Day.”  Jessica Rothe's character, Tree, says she’s never heard of it and doesn’t even know who Bill Murray is.  Aww, Millennials.

 
Uplifting theme: 
  • “Each new day is a chance to be somebody better.” –  Carter Davis (Israel Broussard)

Things I liked:
  •  Jessica Rothe does a fantastic job.
  •  There is a surprising amount of humor and snark.
  • Timed perfectly for Halloween.
  • It also reminded me of Before I Fall.  Both of these two flicks will appeal a lot to tweens and teens.


Things I didn’t like:
  • I hated the female protagonist.  She’s a slutty, self-absorbed, mean skank.  I just didn't mind her dying.  I would have liked to see her character grow more and become a much kinder person by the end, but she doesn’t seem to have learned any lessons like Bill Murray’s character did in the original Groundhog Day.
  • SPOILER: I enjoy a lot of red herrings, which this movie has, but when you learn who the real murderer at the end is, it's kind of a let-down and doesn't make very much sense.





Tips for parents: 
  • The female protagonist sleeps with a guy after getting drunk at a party.  Nice role model for your daughters, eh?  Her daily routine includes the “Walk of Shame.”
  • Vulgar language, profanity, and an F-bomb.
  • Creepy baby face mask.
  • Lots of violent murders.
  • Masturbation.
  • Homosexual kissing.
  • She walks through campus naked to show she doesn’t care while the song “What’s wrong with being confident?” plays in the background.  That's not exactly the lesson of female empowerment I would want my daughter to have.


MOVIE REVIEW MOM

@trinaboice 

No comments: