Thursday, March 16, 2017

Logan's Rated R surprises superhero fans

Movie Title:   Logan

Grade:  B

Rating:   R, 135 minutes

In a Nutshell:  This is NOT your typical Marvel superhero movie.  For starters, it’s Rated R with tons of bloody violence, trampy girls, and an aging Wolverine wearing reading glasses.

It's the first Rated R movie to feature Wolverine and is a very dark, brutal movie.  It has some thoughtful reflection peppered in between the explosive action sequences.

One of the best things about seeing Logan in theaters is the Deadpool short right before the movie starts.  Hilarious.

Uplifting theme: 
  •  Love, friendship, loyalty
  •  Don't judge people. 
Things I liked:
  • I love love love Hugh Jackman.  He can truly do it all.  I hated seeing him drunk and lost though.
  • Patrick Stewart is awesome too.  I didn't like seeing him old and helpless though.
  • Boyd Holbrook does a great job as the bad guy.
  • I always get a kick out of Stephen Merchant, but the character he plays in this movie is nothing like you've ever seen him play before.  Kudos to him for having two movies in theaters right now!  (He plays his typical nerdy self in Table 19.)  
  • It was funny to watch Wolverine read comics about himself.
  •  Some of the characters watch the movie Shane.  It's one of my dad's favorite movies, so I noticed it!
  • Logan's license plate said "wer112".  ha ha

Things I didn’t like:
·        Some Spanish without subtitles.
·       I didn’t like seeing Charles Xavier as a helpless old coot.
·       There’s lots of shaking and loud noises that make the mutants 
         go crazy, which is super annoying to sit through.
·       I didn’t enjoy watching a little girl be super violent.  Dafne 
         Keen did a great job though.
·       It's sad to see Wolverine tired, old, cranky, and mean.
*        I'm not an X-Men comic book junkie by any means, but there
          is a character that's not in the comic books.  It looks like the
          screenwriters just made it up.



Interesting lines:
  • From the song in the movie: “I hurt myself today to see if I could still feel.  I focused on the pain, the only thing that’s real.”
  • “You know, Logan, this is what life looks like: a home with people who love each other.  You should take a moment to feel it.” – Dr. Xavier
  • "I always know who you are.  It's just sometimes I don't recognize you." - Dr. Xavier

  • Tips for parents: 
  • Tons of profanity, including LOTS of F-bombs.
  • TONS of bloody, gory, violent fighting.
  • You might not want your children to see this gritty version of Wolverine.
  • The theater near my house posted this warning to parents:  




@trinaboice 

No comments: