Friday, March 24, 2017

Get Out is Jordan Peele's directorial debut

Movie Title:  Get Out

Get Out (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD)

Grade:  B+

Rating:  R, 104 minutes

In a Nutshell:  We all know Jordan Peele for his comedic talents in funny sketches with Kegan, as well as in his recent feature film Keanu, but this is his directorial debut in a horror flick.  I was curious to see how and what he would do.

The movie addresses racism, but with a sense of humor that is refreshing and satirical at the same time.  

Uplifting theme: 
  •  Friendship, loyalty
  •  Color shouldn't matter
  •  Judgement vs. unconditional love
  •  Pay attention to your instincts and your gut feelings

Things I liked:
  • Daniel Kaluuya is actually from England, but his American accent was spot on as Chris Washington.
  •  The first scene and opening music are creepy, setting the perfect tone for this interesting horror flick.
  • More Bradley Whitford, please.  I loved him in the fantastic The West Wing: The Complete Series Collection and THE GOOD GUYS SEASON 1 TV series.
  • LilRel Howery was hilarious as Rod Williams.  We're sure to see more of him in future movies.  
Things I didn’t like:
  • A lot of scenes are at night time, so this movie will look super dark on a computer screen.
  • Tons of racist comments, words, and attitudes.
  • Some of the scenes have awkward pacing.
  • Later, when I thought about why Walter ran towards Chris and then instantly changed directions before slamming into him, it didn't really make any sense, other than to provide a freaky moment for the audience.  
  • Do you believe in hypnotism?  I earned extra credit in college for letting a psychology grad student try to hypnotize me.  It didn't work, but I still got the extra points for my grade.  Got an A.  



Funny lines:
  • “You realize you’re coming off as the world’s biggest douche bag, right?” –  Rose Armitage (Allison Williams)
  • “The TSA tingles!” – Rod Williams (LilRel Howery)
  • “I mean I told you not to go in that house!” – Rod
  • “How did you find me?” – Chris
“I’m TS – fxxcking A. We handle shxx.” – Rod

Tips for parents: 
  • TONS of F-bombs and other profanity.
  • People flip the bird.
  • Pre-marital relationships.
  • Blood, gore, violence.
  • Lots of racial tension, slurs, and prejudice.
  • Creepy




@trinaboice 

No comments: