Saturday, November 5, 2016

Doctor Strange works magic at the box office

Movie Title:     Doctor Strange
  
Grade: A

Rating:  PG-13, 130 minutes

In a Nutshell:    Cheers to the Marvel Cinematic Universe for introducing another interesting superhero to the Big Screen. I had never read the comic books, so I was curious to learn what Doctor Strange was all about.  I'm now a fan.

This fun origin movie plays with the space/time continuum and other dimensions that will blow your mind and entertain you long enough to help you forget this election season that has just as many punches and blows.

Uplifting theme: 
  • Physical body vs. spirit.
  • “Who are you in this vast multiverse?” – The Ancient One
  • “It’s not about you.” – The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton)
  • “Death is what gives life meaning, to know your days are numbered…your time is short.” – The Ancient One
  • Giving up the things of this small-minded, self-centered world for a better one.

Things I liked:
  • Benedict Cumberbatch.  Boom.  I love that his character is passionate about learning and improving himself. Cumberbatch offers the perfect mixture of arrogance, intelligence, physicality, and humor.
  • I love that Stan Lee is in every Marvel movie.  If you blink, you’ll miss him in this one.  He’s sitting in a bus reading a comic book and says, “That is hilarious!”  ha ha
  • If you really want to get the most out of this movie, you need to see it in 3D.
  • Fun visual gags and a good amount of cheeky humor show that Marvel has learned to poke fun at itself.  
  • Cool, glowing weapons made out of fiery energy fibers.  Awesome.
  • Impressive slow-mo car accident.
  • I broke my fingers and knuckles several years ago and could relate to Doctor Strange’s pains in his hands.  Sometimes I still feel it.
  • They did a great job on scars and wounds on people’s bodies.  Everything looked realistic, not like movie make-up.
  • I loved the Marvel label intro with all of the characters at the very beginning of the movie. This is already one of the Marvel movies I'm going to need to see again.
  • As an author, I thought the bookshelf  where they stored the special books was really interesting.  
  • “Feel so Good” by Chuck Mangioni in 1977.  I used to love that song.  There is other good music in the movie too.
  • Interesting fight sequences like you’ve never seen before.  Think Avengers meets a Salvador Dali painting with elements of the movie "Inception" and "The Matrix." 
  • Tilda Swinton looks amazing and is perfect as The Ancient One.  Using a woman to play this role, which is a departure from the source material, was controversial, but she is fantastic.
  • The Cape of Levitation is its own character that seems self-aware.  Excellent.
  • You HAVE to keep watching after the final credits roll.
  • I love Rachel McAdams in everything she does.
  • There are some extremely picturesque set pieces and real life locations.
  • Fantastic movie poster and trailers.

Things I didn’t like:
  • Sometimes the CGI looks like a video game.
  • There is a lot of grumbling, so you can’t always understand what everyone says.
  • I’ve never taken drugs, but this trippy film kind of makes me feel like I have. 
  • I wish the training sequences had lasted longer.
  • Most of the humor works, some not so much.



Funny lines:
  • “People used to think I was funny.” – Doctor Strange
“Did they work for you?” – Wong
  • “Have you seen that before in a gift shop?” –The Ancient One
  • “Just how experimental is your treatment?” – Doctor Strange
“Quite.” – The Ancient One
  • “Doctor.” – Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen)
“It’s Strange.” – Doctor Strange
“Maybe.  Who am I to judge?” – Kaecilius
  • “What’s this?” – Doctor Strange
“The WiFi password.  We’re not savages.” – Baron Mordo

Interesting lines:
  •  “You want to know what I see in your future?  Possibility.” – The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton)
  • “Why are you doing this?” – Stephen Vincent Strange
“There are other ways to save lives... so much you don’t know.” – The Ancient One
“Teach me!” – Stephen
  • “Stephen Strange.  Might I offer you some advice?  Forget everything that you think you know.” – Baron Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor)
  • “You’re a man looking at the world through a keyhole.  You’ve spent your life trying to widen it.  Your work saved the lives of thousands.  What if I told you that reality is one of many?” – The Ancient One
  • “This doesn’t make sense.” – Doctor Strange
“Not everything does.  Not everything has to.” The Ancient One
  • “There’s a strength to him, but is he ready?” – Baron Mordo
  • “We never defeat our demons, Mordo.  We only learn to live above them.” – The Ancient One
  • “What is real?  What lies beneath your senses?” – The Ancient One
  • “Some things just can’t be fixed.” – The Ancient One
  • “The cost there is high.” – Kaecilius
“How much?” – Doctor Strange
“I’m not talking about money.” – Kaecilius
  • “Time is what enslaves us.” – Kaecilius

Tips for parents: 
  • Violence, fighting, some scary images.
  • Ask your kids if they can explain the significance and symbolism of Doctor Strange's wristwatch.

For the fans: 

No comments: