Movie Title: Ice Age: Collision Course
Rating: PG, 100 minutes
In a Nutshell: Although this film is only the fifth in the series, it somehow feels like so much more. It also feels like a money grab from a franchise that should probably be extinct now.
That being said, rug rats will love the goofy antics and colorful action.
- Faith in our children to make good choices and courage to let them.
Things I liked:
- The beginning sequence of our favorite acorn-loving squirrel shows an alternate beginning of the universe, included with the voice of Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. Later, you get to see an animated deGrasse Tyson creature of some sort. Weazel?
- The voice talents include Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Queen Latifah, Jennifer Lopez, Adam DeVine, Max Greenfield, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Josh Peck, Simon Pegg,Wanday Sykes, Seann William Scott, and Nick Offerman.
- Parents will get a kick out of some of the musical references.
- There are some new characters.
Things I didn’t like:
- Unfortunately, the thin plot and weak script don't serve the talented cast as much as it should or could.
- It feels like it should have just gone straight to DVD or as a Saturday morning cartoon.
- It’s really not very funny.
- A lot of things don't make sense and start to bug you.
- The original, of course, was the best one.
- If you haven't seen any of the previous movies, you won't see any of the charm or character development that occurred before.
- “Everyone has somebody, but all I have is my boyish good looks and this mariachi band.” – Sid
- “I didn’t know sucking was a strategy.” – Granny (Wanda Sykes)
- “Nature’s sunshine!” – Julian (Adam DeVine)
“Isn’t sunshine nature’s sunshine?” – Manny (Ray Romano)
- “You’re the wind beneath my fleas.” – Sid
- “You may be Jurassic, but I am fantastic.” – Buck (Simon Pegg)
- “Sweet eye patch. Very gangster.” – Julian
- “Sorry. I just love playing Devil’s Advocate and looking FABULOUS!” – Buck
- “Why can’t we just fear the Apocalypse like a normal family?” – Roger (Max Greenfield)
- “Baby made a poopie. I’m a method actor, so I WILL need to be changed.” – Crash (Seann William Scott)
- “Oh Brooke, you’re so pretty you take my lisp away.” – Sid
- “You know what I love about our family? That we’re alive.” - Roger
Tips for parents:
- Parents will be happy that the film includes some science facts.
- No profanity.
- Several nipple humor jokes.
- Because of the young target market for this movie, there are a lot of butt jokes, farts, and other “potty” humor.