Movie Title: Ghostbusters
Rating: PG-13, 105 minutes
In a Nutshell: Some of the funny women of Saturday Night Live, including 4 time guest host of SNL Melissa McCarthy, star in this reboot of the 1984 smash hit.
The beloved original (which I loved) is hard to beat, but this version gives it a respectable shot.
Written and directed by Paul Feig, this movie isn’t as good as you want, but also not as bad as you thought it would be.
- “No woman should walk around unarmed.” – Jillian
- “The purpose of life is to love.” – Jillian
- Female empowerment.
Things I liked:
- Cameos and references from the fantastic cast of the original movie.
- Terrific cast includes Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Chris Hemsworth, and Cecily Strong.
- Keep watching during the final credits for a peek at the sequel…
- At the end of the movie, it says “For Harold Ramis.” A lot of people don’t realize that he died in 2014.
- Chris Hemsworth.
- You’ll laugh out loud at least a couple of times.
- The action sequences are better than the original, thanks to new movie technology.
- I thought Zach Woods’ comments as the tour guide at the very beginning of the movie were really funny.
Things I didn’t like:
- It doesn’t have quite the charm as the original.
- Does this reboot add anything new to the original? No, not really. Oh yeah, Chris Hemsworth.
- The script didn’t allow these comediennes to really knock our socks off. The material just isn’t as good as they are.
- Every male character in this movie is either an idiot or a jerk.
- Although this film isn’t the greatest ever made, it certainly doesn’t deserve all the hate that has been spewing over it online.
- The villain isn’t anything special or memorable.
- Needs better pacing.
- “Something big is gonna happen!” - Erin
“The word we’re looking for is Apocalypse!” – Jillian
- “That is a deadly high five.” - Abby
- So, I don’t know if it’s a race thing or a lady thing, but I’m mad as hell.” – Patty
- “How can you be eating right now?” – Erin Gilbert
“Try saying no to these salty parabolas.” – Jillian Holtzmann
- “Am I on crack or is this a good logo?” – Jillian
- “That’s where I saw that weird sparking thing.” – Patty Tolan
“What was it?” – Erin
“If I knew what it was, I wouldn’t say ‘weird sparking thing.’” – Patty
- “Why am I using the untested nuclear thing?” – Erin
“You have the longest arms.” – Jillian
- “Ah, it’s always the sad, pale ones.” – Jillian
- “You hate to see the smart ones go bad.” – Jillian
- “You guys, this is exactly how I pictured my death.” – Jillian
- “Who’s the flying beefcake?” – Rourke
- “What year is it?” – Abby
“It’s 2040. Our president is a plant.” – Jillian
- “I’m just looking for a reasonable ratio between wontons and broth. This is absolute madness.” – Abby
- “It transports ghosts and I don’t know where, but I think it’s Michigan.” –
- “Safety lights are for dudes.” – Jillian
Tips for parents:
- A lot of crude jokes.
- Some of the ghosts could be frightening for small children.
- Some profanity.
- Lots of slime, which your kids will love.