Movie Title: Creed
Rating: PG-13, 2 hours 12 minutes
In a Nutshell: The Rocky franchise is back and better than ever! It packs a punch for fans with humor, drama, emotional growth for the main characters, that amazing theme song, a respectful nod to the past, and lots of boxing.
My husband and sons box….so yeah, this film was preaching to the choir.
- “1 step. 1 punch. 1 round at a time.” – Rocky
- “You can’t learn anything if you’re talking. It’s a fact of life.” – Rocky
- “Build your own legacy.” – Mary Anne Creed (Phylicia Rashad)
- “The plan is just to do what I love for as long as I can.” – Bianca (Tessa Thompson)
- “You are your father’s son. You’re a part of him, but that doesn’t mean you have to be him.” – Mary Anne Creed
- We all have to fight mortality. Sylvester Stallone said in an interview with Jimmy Fallon that it's how we choose to fight mortality that makes the journey interesting.
Things I liked:
- Michael B. Jordan does a believable job as Adonis Johnson Creed. I liked him soooo much more in this film than in the recent Fantastic Four. Yes, Michael Jordan is his real name. Once, he received a $40,000 royalty check that was supposed to be sent to the NBA star Michael Jordan!
- How do they film some of those shots?! Wow!
- Well done, Sylvester Stallone. He did a great job acting, producing and allowing Ryan Coogler to direct. He has just received a nomination for a Golden Globe! Stallone admits that he didn't want to make another Rocky movie, but the story was so compelling that he agreed to do it.
- Great training sequences. Just what we love.
- It was cool watching Adonis shadow box to the original Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed fight on YouTube. You can too! Here’s the same video he watched:
- I loved seeing Rocky hit the speed bag next to Adonis, the original who started the whole story and the young buck who is going to carry on the legacy.
- When the camera zoomed onto the aquarium in Rocky’s house, my husband whispered to me “Cuff and Link!” Now, there’s a true Rocky fan who remembers even the water turtles’ names.
- Young people will be able to relate to the struggle of following in their parents’ footsteps vs. making a name for themselves.
- I loved the camerawork in the scene in the locker room when the shot followed Rocky and Creed out into the big arena.
- I got a kick out of seeing Liverpool, England again. I was just there this summer!
- I liked the helpful stat boxes that popped up on the screen when the film introduced new boxing characters.
Things I didn’t like:
- Adonis grew up with a silver spoon, but they tried to make him appear Street. With some work, they were actually pretty close to making us believe it.
- It was odd to see a tough boxer like “Pretty” Ricky Conlan (Anthony Bellew) talk with an Irish accent. Sometimes I couldn’t even understand what the heck he was saying.
- No big surprises here. You’ve seen the story before.
- “I otta knock you out myself.” – Mary Anne Creed
- “I think they added a few more steps.” – Rocky, after he climbed to the top of the steps in Philadelphia again.
- “Women weaken legs.” - Rocky
- “We’re making champs in the Delphi ring. We aren’t dancing. We aren’t singing. We’re fighting.” – Tommy Holiday (Graham McTavish)
- “Apollo didn’t get hurt. He got killed.” – Mary Anne Creed
- “It’s you against you. He’s just in the way. Get him out of the way.” – Rocky
- “So, what are you afraid of?” – Bianca
“I’m afraid of taking on the name and losing.” – Adonis
- “Prove what?” – Rocky
“That I’m not an accident.” – Adonis
- “Time takes everybody out; time’s undefeated.” - Rocky
Tips for parents:
- Be forewarned: your young children are going to learn a bad word in sign language.
- There is a steamy kissing scene on a couch.
- Some profanity.
- Lots of fighting: some of it in the ring and some of it not.
- Some discussion of Cancer and death.