Saturday, May 9, 2015

Hot Pursuit is a cold disappointment

Movie:  Hot Pursuit [HD]

PG-13, 1 hour 27 minutes

Grade: B-

In a Nutshell:  With better writing, this could have been a hilarious movie.  Unfortunately, the script is weak and the dialogue weaker.  I adore both Reese Witherspoon (she won an Oscar for Walk The Line ) and Sophia Vergara (fantastic in Modern Family: Season 1 ) and I know they could have nailed it if given good material to work with.

They're still fun to watch in this Odd Couple, on-the-run buddy comedy, but it could have been so much better.

Uplifting Theme:
·         Look for the strengths in others and appreciate the differences.

Things I liked:
·         Some audience members enjoyed the physical humor, but I thought it was silly slapstick that could have been done so much better.
·         I lived in the South for 15 years and got a kick out of the sign at the gas station that said “Hep yourself.”  Aw, Southern Hospitality.
·         The funniest scene is when Reese Witherspoon accidentally breathes in a cloud of cocaine powder and talks a mile a minute, saying ridiculous things.  Well done Reese.
·         The outtakes at the end of the movie were often funnier than the movie itself.
      Wow...that dress.  Sophia Vergara is so gorgeous.  Reese Witherspoon is so adorable.


Things I didn’t like:
·         If you’re Christian, you might be offended by some lines that mock Christians.
·         The biggest punch lines in the movie poke fun at the height difference between Witherspoon and Vergara…over and over again. 
·         I really wanted to laugh, but was mostly disappointed.  If you are big fans of Witherspoon and Vergara, your expectations will be high and you’ll be let down, but if you’re really going to the movie for two other things, then you’ll enjoy it.



Funny lines:
·         “What is that white thing?” – Daniella Riva
“It’s my underwear.”  - Officer Cooper
“That’s not underwear…it’s a diaper!” – Daniella Riva
·         “I’m totally crushing it as a dude.” – Officer Cooper
·         “It might have rabies or worse…herpes!” – Officer Cooper
·         “You’re the real Cooper...as in ‘you just pulled a Cooper’?” – officer at the station
·         “You’re teeny, tiny…I could put you in my purse.” – Daniella talking about Officer Cooper
·         “I know she looks like she can’t protect nothing, because she looks like My Little Pony.” – Daniella talking about Officer Cooper
·         “I kinda like your smile” – Randy
“I’m not smiling.” – Officer Cooper
“Then I got something to look forward to.” - Randy

Tips for Parents:
·         Lots of profanity in Spanish.  No worries if you don’t speak Spanish, but your kids may think it’s funny to say them.  Reese Witherspoon’s character expresses her anger with a softer “Dangit!”.  The closest she ever gets to profanity is when she says “I am the Mother F-ing police!”  (pronounced “effing”)
·         There is an inappropriate scene that uses descriptive language to discuss women’s periods.
·         There is a lesbian scene that is supposed to be funny, but it’s mostly stupid.

·         You see a part naked guy in a shower scene and hear a lot of sexual innuendos during the entire movie.


No comments: