Wednesday, May 13, 2015

5 Flights Up features Morgan Freeman warmth and Diane Keaton charm

Movie:   5 Flights Up

PG-13, 1 hour 32 minutes

Grade:  B

In a Nutshell:   Based on the novel Heroic Measures by Jill Ciment, this wry dramedy showcases the charming duo Morgan Freeman and Diane Keaton.

It's a coming-of-age look at life and the crazy things we do to ourselves to find happiness.

Uplifting Theme:
·         No one is promised tomorrow.
·         Take control of your life and create the one you want.
*   Morgan Freeman's character (Alex) explains "Those few days were like one big roller coaster ride, and like most rides, we ended up where we began.  Still, it reminded us of who we are, what we have.  It was worth it if only for that.

Things I liked:
·         Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City: The Movie) seems right at home as a hard-hitting New York City realtor.
*    I had to laugh at the couple whose day was completely turned around as they got caught up in the real estate frenzy.  Alex asks Ruth "Why are we moving?  What are we chasing?"  I laughed because my husband and I have gone through that too.
*  Of course Diane Keaton wears a hat. Classic Diane Keaton.
*  There is a meager attempt to create a side story of a terrorist in the Big Apple to underline the message about what's truly important in life.
*  I liked looking back at Alex and Ruth in their earlier years, although it made me feel kind of sad, as I'm reminded at how fast time goes by.
*  While the script isn't exactly riveting, Freeman and Keaton successfully add warmth to it.

Things I didn’t like:
·         There are no big surprises in the end.   SPOILER ALERT:  I thought a better ending would have been to show Alex having tea with that little girl he kept running into at Open Houses.
*    The only hint of action is in the news reports...as they report there is no action in the terrorist story.  You have to laugh at the media who can talk for hours about nothing.

Funny lines:
·         “I thought you were watching the news.” – Ruth
“There’s nothing new about it.” – Alex
·         They ought to make it one of the ten plagues: first locusts, then house hunters.  - Alex

Interesting lines:
·         “Who would have thought the whole of my life’s work my whole life’s work is worth less than the room I painted it in?” –  Alex
     
Tips for Parents:
·         Some profanity, including 1 F-bomb.

·         Children will be pretty bored watching old people figure out what to do with their New York City apartment.

If you liked this movie, then you'll probably like:


         


If you loved it, then check out the book:

No comments: