Monday, January 30, 2017

The Edge of Seventeen will make you glad you're not a teenager anymore


Movie Title:    The Edge of Seventeen

Grade:  B+

Rating: R, 98 minutes

In a Nutshell:  Hailee Steinfeld plays a completely self-absorbed teenager who has a hard time learning some of the most important lessons in life…that loving and caring for others is important and necessary to be happy.  It’s a bit frustrating how long it takes her to discover those simple truths, but she’s still a complete delight to watch, because the magnificent Hailee Steinfeld plays her.  

Woody Harrelson is fantastic in every scene he’s in and complements Hailee's performance perfectly.  I wish there had been more scenes in the movie with both of them together. I could have watched their hilarious banter all day long.

It’s an edgy coming-of-age story that will make you ache and laugh at the same time.

Uplifting theme: 
  • “I have to spend the rest of my life with myself.” – Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld)
  • “Wow, I’m one of those people who thinks everything’s about them.” - Nadine
 
Things I liked:
  • What a sweet dad.  Oh that every kid could have such a kind, loving, supportive father.
  • It was touching to watch each family member finally learn how to relate and communicate with each other.
  • I thought Erwin Kim’s short film at the end was pretty funny.
  • First-time writer Kelly Fremon Craig will have a bright future if he keeps producing honest movies like this one.
  • I’m so grateful I’m not in high school anymore.
  • Fans who first fell in love with Blake Jenner on Glee The Complete Series will be happy to see him in this film.

Things I didn’t like:
  • Kyra Sedgwick doesn’t seem to age.  She plays a terrible mother to counterpoint the very sweet father played by Eric Keenleyside.
  • I know it was part of the story, but it was NOT smart for Mr. Bruner to bring a young female student into his home.  My husband never even drove any of our female babysitters home when we had little kids.  Thankfully, the movie doesn't go in that direction, but it's important for men to use wisdom when dealing with dramatic, psycho teenage girls.
  • As a mother, I would be super depressed if I had a daughter like Nadine.  I hate seeing young girls already be so foul-mouthed, cynical, mean, and desperate.
  • Erwin is too rich, talented and good-looking to be so shy and awkward. His character didn’t seem believable, but I really liked him.



Funny lines:
  • “You are so going to get fired when I actually do it.”  (commit suicide) - Nadine
“Well, not actually for sure, but I can dream.” – Br. Bruner
  • “There are two types of people in this world: the people who radiate confidence and naturally excel at life, and the people who hope all those people die in a big explosion.” – Nadine
  • “My mom has to take medicine or else she’ll get too upset at the mall.” = Nadine

Tips for parents: 
  • Lots of profanity, including many F-bombs.
  • Talk of suicide, bullying.
  • Loss of virginity, inappropriate sex jokes, teens in bed, awkward car make-out scene.
  • Your kids will probably laugh, but you need to remind them that Nadine is terribly messed up and NOT a positive role model for them.
  • Nadine drives a car without a driver’s license.



@trinaboice 

No comments: