Sunday, November 15, 2015

Peanuts movie is like visiting an old friend

Movie:     The Peanuts Movie

Rating:    G, 1 hour 32 minutes

Grade:   B+

In a Nutshell:    How wonderful that a whole new generation is being introduced to the lovable Peanuts.    Hollywood did this one right: they kept the message clean and pure, just as Charles Schultz would have liked it.   

I suspect parents who grew up with the Peanuts will enjoy this more than their kids. This is a classic, simple love story and underdog tale.   While it doesn’t really offer anything new or fresh, it feels like a nostalgic visit with an old friend and plays like a “Best of Peanuts” film.

Uplifting Theme:
·         You’re as young as your imagination will allow you to be.
·         Be kind to others.  We are all fighting our own battles.
·         Never give up.

Things I liked:
·          Meagan Trainer’s cute song Better When I'm Dancin' is adorable and catchy.  You’ll leave the theater dancing.
·         Snoopy’s timeline is adorable.
·         Cute Charlie Brown balloons at the school assembly.  I’ll bet you can buy them on Amazon soon.
·          When I was in high school, I played the little red-haired girl.  Nope, no lines. I just sat there on the stage while Charlie Brown did all the work.  I pretended to pick my nose and eat  my boogers …and stole the scene.  Ha ha
·         Linus plays Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata , which my mother used to play on the piano while I was growing up.
·         Fans of Minions will get a kick out of the overly dramatic Snoopy and the sounds he makes.
·         Keep watching during the closing credits.

Things I didn’t like:
·          It’s so true to its source material that it feels unimaginative.  We’ve seen it before.
·         Paying extra for 3D is not necessary.
·         Some children who are used to sophisticated animation nowadays may think the simple animation design of the peanuts is too…simple.
·         It’s weird that so many of the Peanuts characters are balding as young children, right?
·         There aren’t very many really funny lines.



Funny lines:  
·          “Is there an emoji for good grief?” – Charlie Brown
·         “Can a brother and sister get a divorce?” – Sally (Charlie Brown’s sister).   She kind of reminds me of Lisa from the The Simpsons Movie .

Tips for Parents:
·          The language gets as bad as “Rats!” and “Good Grief!”   How refreshing.
        It's sweet and innocent.
·          
Can't get enough of the Peanuts?  Check out these fun Peanuts products:


No comments: