Saturday, August 29, 2015

Self/Less asks what legacy will you leave

Movie:    Self/less

PG-13, 1 hour 57 minutes

Grade:    B

In a Nutshell:    The talented Ben Kingsley plays a dying real estate tycoon who buys a younger body, that of Ryan Reynolds.  Nice choice.

Critics have been pretty negative about this movie, claiming that it didn’t dig deep enough.  While that may be true, I still enjoyed the ride. I love movie titles that have double meanings and this one gives cause to reflect.  When is someone else's life more important than your own?  What makes you, YOU?

Uplifting Theme:
·         “Every medical advance has a cost.” – Albright
·         What would you do with your life if you could do it over again?
·         Every one of us is going to die.  What will be your legacy?

Things I liked:
·         Fans of Downton Abbey Season 1-3 will be happy to see Michelle Dockery as Claire.
·         Fans of Natalie Martinez will enjoy watching her play Madeline.  I first saw her in the Stephen King thriller Under the Dome: Season 1 .  It held my interest for the first season, but then I moved on.
·         I loved watching the water jet pack sport Ryan Reynolds' character did.  Awesome.  I found a company near my house in Las Vegas that offers classes!  Check out www.JetpackAmerica.com to find locations where you can actually do it!
·         Wow, that New York City view from the older Damien's dining room!
·         It was nice to see a vibrant New Orleans scene.
·         Matthew Goode just a great job as the ice cold handler behind the science.
·         Little Jaynee-Lynne Kinchen is adorable as Anna.

Things I didn’t like:
·         I love Ben Kingsley and think he’s an excellent actor.  I remember the moment when he won an Oscar for Gandhi .  I thought his New York accent was spot on in this movie, but it just didn’t seem to match his look.



Funny lines:
·         “So much for wisdom and experience.” – Martin (Victor Garber)
·         “I understand you’re disappointed.  You thought you were buying a new car, but instead, you got one with a few miles on it.” – Anton (Derek Luke)
·         What’s that?”   Damien
“It’s something to stop your heart.” – medical worker
·         “I have the physical dexterity of a toddler.” -  Young Damien

Interesting lines:
·         “I’m the only one standing between you and oblivion.” – Albright
·         “Just think of all the great minds we lost, simply because their bodies were failing them:  Edison, Einstein, Steve Jobs.  Imagine what he could have accomplished if he had another 50 years left.” - Albright

Tips for Parents:
·         You see Ryan Reynolds shirtless and bedding a LOT of young women in a “I’m young and hot again” montage.
·         1 F-bomb and other profanity.
·         Some car crashes, blood, and fight scenes.

No comments: