Monday, August 10, 2015

Pixels helps you relive your 80's glory days

Movie:    Pixels

PG-13, 1 hour 46 minutes

Grade:  B-

In a Nutshell:  This is a world where Kevin James is President of the United States.   Need I say more?   I have real mixed feelings about this new Adam Sandler action comedy.  While it has many flaws, it DID make me laugh out loud a few times, mostly thanks to Josh Gad and his hilarious comical timing.  

Younger viewers will be mildly entertained, while their parents will get a kick out of 80's nostalgia.  As they say in the movie: “Start your gaming!”

Uplifting Theme:
·     The 80's rocked.
-   Everyone gots da skills in something.
-   We're better when we work together.

Things I liked:
·         The funny-man cast includes Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Josh Gad, Jane Krakowski, and Peter Dinklage.  The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring fans will be happy to see Sean Bean.
·     Adam Sandler’s character is a tech nerd, which reminded me of the cute TV show Chuck: Season 1 where the main character works for the “Nerd Herd”.  People are now embracing their inner nerd and it’s considered cool now.  Adam Sandler’s character says “For the record, I’m an amazing kisser.  All of us nerds are.  We appreciate it more.”

·         I grew up in the 80’s, so it was fun revisiting those good old days. There are a LOT of 80’s references that parents might have to explain to their kids, such as:  “Where’s the Beef?”, Sheena Easton, Polaroid cameras, and some of the people who show up as cameos (see my list below).
*  I remember playing most of the games that the movie featured: Donkey Kong, PacMan, Space Invaders, 

 Things I didn’t like:
*   It felt like everyone was acting.
*   The special effects weren't amazing.   Meh.
*   The script could have been stronger with better writing.

Funny lines:
Ludlow has most of the funny lines that made me laugh out loud.  Here are some of them:
·         “It looks like someone sent us the cast of Magic Mike.  Are you going to fight or dance naked?”
·         “I’m on an all protein diet, but I also do carbs.”
·         “You smell so nice, like the book of Genesis.”
          


Tips for Parents:
·         I have four sons who all love to play video games.  As any good mother does, I scold them when I think they’ve played for too many hours in the day, informing them that they’re wasting their time and that they should be developing more meaningful talents and skills which will help them in their future to get a good job and career.  Little did I know that my second son would actually grow up to be a character artist at Blizzard, one of the biggest video game companies on earth!  He has a great job and absolutely loves what he does.  Check out some of his recent artwork for Blizzard. 

Cameos:
·         Serena Williams
·         Martha Stewart
·         Dan Akroyd
·         Tammy Faye Baker
·         Fantasy Island host and “Tatoo”
·         Hall & Oates
·         Lainie Kazan
·         Matt Frewer as Max Headroom

No comments: