Monday, April 13, 2015

Home is harmless fun

Movie:  Home   

PG, 1 hour 33 minutes

Grade: B

In a Nutshell:  Dreamworks is trying hard to keep up with Disney who has recently been pumping out hit after hit.  Home doesn’t have quite the magic that Disney films are known for, but it’s “safe” fun for kids.

Uplifting Theme:
·         Believe it or not, bubbles are a recurring theme...plain ole, fun bubbles, as well as the imaginary ones we put around us to protect ourselves. 
·         Oh says “The truth is I do not fit in; I fit out.”  Everyone wants to fit in and feel special.  Spend more time helping others feel wanted and you’ll fit in just fine.
·         Home is where the heart is.

Things I liked:
·         The film is filled with color and heart.  In fact, the Boovs change colors to reveal their quickly changing moods and emotions. (Pink = love, Blue = sad, red = angry, yellow = cowardly)
·         I want to get one of those cute turtle cell phone holders Tip has in her car.  (I have 2 pet water turtles.)
·         I really like Rihanna’s two new songs for the movie, which is saying a lot because some of her songs really drive me nuts.  She also voices Tip, who acts like a little girl, but is somehow old enough to drive a car.???
·         Who doesn’t love Steve Martin?  He plays Captain Smek, a goofy, cowardly leader who is “best at running away.”
·         I thought the twist at the end was very sweet.  No Spoiler Alert!
·         The animation for Tip’s hair is amazing.
·         Cute cell phone rolling credits at the end.
·         I liked the Boov’s luggage at the beginning of the movie.  Notice what items Oh packed.

Things I didn’t like:
·         Jim Parsons’ character, Oh, is similar to the character he plays in The Big Bang Theory: Season 1 .       Creepy facial hair on some of the Boovs.
·         You’ll think twice about eating ice cream after you hear Oh say “Enjoy frozen bovine secretions.”
·         While the Boov’s language is adorable, it’s not helpful for my international students who are learning English.  Just sayin...



Funny lines:
·         “I am saying the sorry to you.” – Oh
·         “Why is it called Super chip?” – Tip
“It is mostly marketing.” – Oh
·         Oh no!  My hands are in the air like I just do not care!” – Oh
·         “Okay, pee break.” – Tip
“Oh, I too has to break pee.” – Oh
·         You thinks you were scared?  I almost made a #3!”  (Tip hugs him)  “Not too hard!  It is still a possibility!”  - Oh 
·         “Parties are so much more fun when people come.” – Oh
·          
Tips for Parents:
·         Toilet humor
·         Kids love complicated booby traps and sequences, so they’ll get a kick out of the ones in the film.
      Lots of action should keep young kids entertained.  Older kids will see the plot a mile away.
*    You've never seen such adorable, benign aliens.

 

No comments: