Thursday, January 8, 2015

Big Eyes gets my big applause



Big Eyes

PG-13, 1 hour 46 minutes

Grade:  A-

In a Nutshell:   Big Eyes is an EYE OPENING biopic about the pop art of Margaret Keane, as well as a social commentary of the male dominance of the 50’s and 60’s. 

Christopher Waltz plays the charismatic Walter Keane so well that you can’t tell if he’s simply a deluded and hopeful salesman or a manipulative monster. Amy Adams uses her innocent charm to portray the talented, subdued artist Margaret Keane.


I don’t normally like director Tim Burton’s dark style, but this film is more conventional, while still including his somewhat magical, warped flair, similar in taste to his earlier film Big Fish .

Uplifting Theme:
·         Honesty, integrity, talent, self-assurance, self-expression

Things I liked:
·         I’ve always liked Amy Adams.  She is fantastic in this.  I love the picture at the end of the movie with her and the real Margaret Keane, who is still alive!
·         It was fun seeing North Beach in San Francisco in the 60’s.
·         As a non-fiction author of 21 books, I completed related to the artists’ struggle to get work “out there” and have people appreciate it.
·         Krysten Ritter was perfectly cast as Margaret’s big-eyed best friend, DeeAnn
·         Margaret’s evolving hairdo’s reminded me of my own mother’s during that time period.
·         I thought Lana Del Rey’s theme song was perfect for the tone of the film.  “With your big eyes and your big lies.”



Things I didn’t like:
·         Margaret is portrayed as being forced into the fraud, but she definitely agreed to allow it to happen.  Yes, Margaret was conflicted, but the sting of dishonesty seemed to be somewhat mellowed with money.   Funny how that works.
·         It’s interesting how Walter was criticized for not having the real talent, but his marketing abilities were extraordinary, especially for the time.  He brought art to the masses at an affordable price and was a genius at merchandising.

Funny lines:
·         “I make things up for a living.  I’m a reporter.”  - Dick Nolan (played by Danny Huston)
·          “Expresso?  What’s that?  Is that like Reefer?”  - Margaret
·         “Walter Keane was not a subtle man.  Subtle doesn’t sell.” – Dick Nolan
·         “Quiet.  I’ll have you whacked. If you tell anyone, I’ll have you taken out.  I know people.  Remember Ben Ducci’s cousin, the liquor wholesaler?” – Walter
·         “Life imitating art…a crying Keane.” - Walter

Interesting lines:
·         “So, what’s that with the crazy, big eyes?” - Walter
“Well, I believe that you can see things in the eyes.  Eyes are the window to the soul.  Eyes are how I express my emotions.” –  Margaret
·         “When you look at me like that, I could fall hard.” – Walter
·         “Jane, don’t bother Mr. Keane.  You know creativity comes from within.” – Margaret
·         ‘You’re right!  It’s paradise!  Only God could create these colors!” – Margaret on her honeymoon in Hawaii
·         “I think people buy art because it touches them.” – Margaret
“Yeah, you are living in Fairy land.  People don’t get to discover anything.  They buy art because it’s in the right place at the right time.” – Walter
·         “It’s like a mirage….From a distance, you look like a painter, but up close there’s just not much there.” – Margaret
·         “The more you lie, the smaller you seem.” - Margaret

Tips for Parents:
·         Some profanity, including 1 F-Bomb.
·         There isn’t a lot of action, so some children will get bored.
Margaret and Walter lie to their daughter to protect the ruse.

 To learn more about their fascinating story, check these out:

 

No comments: