Saturday, May 31, 2014

Adam Sandler grows up just a bit in Blended


Movie Title:  Blended

PG-13, 1 hour 57 minutes

Grade:  B-

In a Nutshell:   

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are paired together in their third romantic comedy.  She seems to make him better. Despite Adam’s expected crass humor and offensive stereotypes, the film has some genuine laughs and several sweet moments and a family message.  I can’t believe Sandler was able to get me to shed a tear during this film.  In one scene, Drew Barrymore sings a sweet lullaby in a touching moment that surprised me. 

Uplifting theme: 

  • "Love is a many blended thing."
  • Being a man ain’t about pissing and moaning about everything, but dealing with what’s in front of you.”  While that’s not exactly poetic, Adam Sandler offers a lesson to boys about how to be a man.
  • “You gotta show up for your kids.  It’s gotta be boring how reliable parents are.”  Jim 
  • Family is everything.
Things I liked:

  • Terry Crews is hilarious and borderline disgusting in every film he does.  His character, Nickens, suddenly appears at random moments, dancing and chest-bouncing his way through scenes to the delight of the audience.
  • I loved “visiting” Africa.  I’d love to have dinner under the stars underneath that beautiful canopy in Africa at the resort.
  • Drew Barrymore is aging gracefully and looked beautiful in this film.
  • Alyvia Lind is absolutely adorable and should have a bright future in Hollywood.
  • Maybe Adam Sandler really is growing up.  He shot a scene with the kids laughing on a vibrating bed, rather than making it a dirty scene with predictable sex jokes.
  • Riding an ostrich is on my Bucket List.  Now, vacationing at the Sun City Resort in South Africa is on that list too. 
  • Adam Sandler is unexpectedly endearing when his daughter puts stickers all over his face.  Maybe this was inspired by a real life moment with his two daughters, Sunny and Sadie.
  • Check out the animal carvings in the chair backs at the African resort dining area.
Things I didn’t like:

  • Knowing your ticket purchase paid for Adam Sandler’s luxurious trip to Africa is a bit annoying. (Actually, I saw the movie for free, but I was still annoyed.)
  • There was a lot of merchandising in the movie.  I wonder how much Hooters had to pay for their heavy advertising and prominent role in the flick.  I did think the Hooters monkey band was pretty funny though.  I’m assuming Adam Sandler selected Dick’s Sporting Goods for his film because he thought the name was hilarious.  Grow up Adam.
  • The film abounds with ridiculously contrived scenarios.
  • Have you ever seen a gigantic giraffe tongue?  Now you will.  Ick.
  • I suppose it’s not a proper Adam Sandler flick without at least one Transvestite.
Funny lines:

  • “I own him.”  - Lou tells Lauren about her ability to manipulate her dad.
  • “You just scared a zebra stripe in my pants.”  - Jim
  • “Three second rule!”  - Who knew that counts when you drop a kid?
  • “You should Rufie her and shave her head.” – Jen
  • “We both need this.”  - Jim when he fist bumps his daughter
Tips for parents:   Classic Adam Sandler fills this flick with sex jokes and inappropriate humor.  This is not a family-friendly film, despite being about blended families.  There are just too many things I would not want my young children to see or hear in this movie. Adam Sandler movies with Drew Barrymore:


 

No comments: