Saturday, May 12, 2018

Overboard remake adds some new elements to the 1987 original


Movie Title:     Overboard

Grade:   B

Rating: PG-13, 110 minutes

In a Nutshell:   It has been many years since I saw the original Gary Marshall movie  Overboard starring Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, but I remember thinking it was a charming Rom-com.  

The good news is that there is some charm to this remake, but the bad news is that it's not a great movie.

There is a funny running gag about Mexican soap operas.  Now that I think of it, the movie kind of feels like a goofy 1980’s Mexican soap opera.
                                                     

Tips for parents: 
  • Eugenio Derbez pulls part of his shorts down to reveal a tattoo on his butt cheek.
  • There is a LOT of Spanish spoken, so there are a LOT of subtitles.  If you speak Spanish, you’ll hear some profanity.
  • The plot of the movie is that the protagonist and her children lie to a rich man to take advantage of his amnesia, as well as get a little revenge. Not exactly the kind of example we want to set for our kids.
  • Girls in bikinis.
  • Some profanity in English and Spanish.
  • Alcohol.
  • There is some discussion about what the word “pervert” means, so your young kids are probably going to ask you about it.
  • You see an unmarried couple in bed together.



Uplifting theme: 
  • Follow your dream
  • Motherhood
  • Poetic justice
  • “Life’s short and you don’t want to live with regrets.” -  (Anna Faris)

                                   



Things I liked:
  • Eugenio Derbez is always delightful.  I first saw him in How To Be A Latin Lover.  He’s super popular in Mexico.  I can see why.
  • Anna Faris is probably best known for her roles in the Scary Movie franchise.  Unlike her ex-husband Chris Pratt, she tends to choose movie scripts that end up bombing at the box office.  She’s extremely likable and capable, although her plastic surgery is a bit distracting.  I’m not talking about her breast implants, but it looks like she had something done to her lips. I keep staring at her face to see if I could figure out what she had done.
  • Fans of The Last Man on Earth: Season 1 will get a kick out of seeing Mel Rodriguez.
  • Keep watching when the rolling credits run at the end of the movie.
  • My twin sister teaches nursing students, so I thought it was cute that Anna Faris' character listened to nursing audio books in the car to help her prepare for her big test.  Every summer, my sister takes nursing students to various Third World countries to offer free health clinics.  The program is run through International Service Learning.  I got to go with her one year as a Spanish translator when she went to Colombia.  It was awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone in the health industry who is up for a meaningful adventure abroad! 
  • There is a cute Jaws reference when you see the name tag “Brody” on a guy during a conversation about sharks.   Ha ha
  • In a movie filled with wacky gags and slapstick humor, I thought it was insightful to include a short, yet deep scene where some men talked about how they felt like they were just a paycheck to their wives. 
  • The youngest daughter, played by Payton Lepinski, is so adorable.  I’d like to see her in more films.
  • It’s always good to see Eva Longoria.
  • Director and writer Rob Greenberg was trying to bring something fresh to the remake by switching the gender roles and adding a Latino element to the story.


Things I didn’t like:
  • The chemistry between Eugenio Derbez and Anna Faris             isn’t very convincing.  Of course, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell were an actual couple when they filmed the original Overboard, so their chemistry was undeniable.  
  • Eugenio wears a lot of Seattle Seahawks t-shirts in the movie, but the location is supposedly somewhere along the Oregon coast.  I was just in Seattle last weekend, by the way.  It was my very first time there and I was so impressed!  My husband and I enjoyed perfect weather with blue skies and had so much fun going on tours, seeing the sites, and discovering cool restaurants.   I highly recommend the “Underground Tour”, “Free Walking Tours”, and Amazon headquarters tour!  What a cool city.


Interesting lines:
  • “I don’t have time for fun.” – Kate (Anna Faris)
“Then you’re not doing it right.” – Theresa (Eva Longoria)
  • “Land of the free, not land of the free lunch.” –  Bobby (Mel Rodriguez)
  • “Mos of us only know the world we’re born into.”  - Colin (John Hannah) 
  • “Act like a man!” – Godfather


                                          
                                             @trinaboice

No comments: