Saturday, January 6, 2018

Same Kind of Different As Me will help you see the homeless differently

Movie Title:   
Same Kind of Different As Me

Grade:  B+

Rating:  PG-13, 119 minutes

In a Nutshell:   Based on a true story, this movie will make you want to do more for the homeless to let them know they’re not alone or invisible.

Tips for parents: 
  • Some profanity, including racist slurs.
  • Discussion of the Klu Klux Klan and racism.
  • After watching the film, you should talk to your kids about the homeless and maybe even plan a special service project to help the homeless in your city!
                             

Uplifting theme: 
  • “While the journey of the homeless may begin in a hopeless place, it didn’t have to end there.” – Ron Hall (Greg Kinnear)
  • “God is in the recycling business of turning trash into treasure.” – Denver (Djimon Hounsou)
  • “Sometimes you just gotta bless the hell out of people.” – Denver
  • “It’s kind of incredible what a little love can do.” – Chef Jim (Thomas Francis Murphy)

                                       
Things I liked:
  • Without the lead actors, it may have felt like just another sappy Christian movie, but the superb performances by Renee Zellweger, Greg Kinnear, Djimon Hounsou, and Jon Voight  elevate it to so much more. 
  • I liked Debbie’s sweet, soft voice.  What an angel she was.
  • I really liked the idea of “catch and release” friendship.  How do you treat your true friends?
  • The scene with the yellow roses was very sweet.  Wouldn’t we all like to have such an impact on others?
  • I always love seeing pictures and video clips of the real people at the end of a movie about them.
                                   

Things I didn’t like:
  • I’m still not used to Renee Zelwegger’s new face.
  • One of the first times we see Denver, he flies into a rage, but we’re never told why.
  • I’ve never seen people clap and give a standing ovation for a eulogy at a funeral.  Have you?  It seemed odd and a bit inappropriate to me.
  • It's pretty predictable.

Funny lines:
  • “You wanna be my friend?” – Denver
“Uh huh…” – Ron
“I’m gonna have to think about that.” - Denver


Interesting lines:
  • “I’ve done things I’m not proud of.” – Clara (Ann Mahoney)
“We all have.” – Debbie
  • “I just don’t know how much a million dollars is worth anymore.” – Ron
  • “When you’re as precious to God, you’re important to Satan.” – Denver 

I hear the book is different from the movie a bit, so if you’d like to dig in deeper, you can buy one with this link! 
                                               

  



                                          @trinaboice 

No comments: