Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Wonder Woman is wonderful

Movie Title:  Wonder Woman

Grade:  A-

Rating: PG-13, 141 minutes

In a Nutshell: I used to watch Wonder Woman on TV back when I was a little girl.  I loved it.  I thought she was beautiful, kind, and strong.  As a little girl, it made me feel like I could do almost anything. Yep, this superhero movie is about female empowerment, but it has a lot more than that.

I don’t know why it has taken this long to bring Wonder Woman to the Big Screen.  Maybe we were waiting for the perfect Gal Gadot.

This fun action flick has just the right amount of humor and Justice League magic.  Warner Brothers gives us an extremely entertaining summer popcorn blockbuster that gives Marvel a run for its money.  It’s part of a set up for Justice League and a planned trilogy for Wonder Woman.



Uplifting theme: 
  • “If you see something wrong happening in the word, you can either do nothing or you can do something." - Steve Trevor (Chris Pine)
  • “What one does, when faced with the truth, is more difficult than you would think.” – Diana/Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot)
  • “It is our sacred duty to defend the world.” –  Diana/Wonder Woman
  • "Everyone is fighting their own battles, Diana, just as you're fighting yours." - Sameer
  • “A promise is unbreakable.” - Diana
  • "Only love can truly save the world." - Diana
  • Love vs. hate, peace vs. war, humanity

Things I liked:
  • Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are both gorgeous and awesome.  As Chris Pine’s character explains, “I am above average.”  Gal Gadot has the perfect accent to sound exotic.  As Sameer says about her, “OMG, that is a work of art.”  Eye candy for everyone.
  • Great female stunt work.
  • Some cool and fun slow-motion, as well as sped-up action sequences.
  • Female director Patty Jenkins was going to film Wonder Woman back in 2005, but she became pregnant and the project was put on hold.  She said she was thrilled to be able to pick up the project again, because it was the movie she had been wanting to make her whole life.  She’s the first woman to direct a superhero film with a female protagonist.  We haven’t seen a female superhero since Electra in 2005.  It’s about time, right?
  • Most of the CGI is very good, although it becomes a bit heavy towards the end.  Gal Gadot was actually 5 months pregnant during some of the filming, so they put green screen on her belly so they could remove the baby bump during post-production.
  • I love it when the directors and producers put themselves in small cameo performances in their own films.  In this case, producer Zack Snyder shows up as a World War I soldier.
  • Did you know this movie has been banned in Lebanon?  Gal Gadot is Israeli and even served in the military.
  • Ah, romance.  I love that both Diana and Steve learn from each other and make one another better.
  • I wish I had one of those truth lassos.
  • It was cool to see the symbolism of light and color illustrated in man's world and that of Themyscera.
  • The soundtrack was noticeably good.




Things I didn’t like:
  • There are a couple of long, explanatory scenes to help you understand what’s going on.
  • I wish Lynda Carter, the first TV Wonder Woman, could have made a cameo performance.  Apparently, she sings in cabarets and couldn’t fit it into her schedule.  She definitely should have made the time for her fans.
  • The villain was pretty weak.

Interesting lines:
  • “You let this little thing tell you what to do?” – Diana/Wonder Woman talking about Chris Pine’s watch.
  • “You know that if you choose to leave, you may never return.” – Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen)
“Who would I be if I stayed?” – Diana
  • “What kind of weapon kills innocents?” – Diana
“In this war, every kind.” – Steve Trevor
* "I believe in love." - Diana

Funny lines:
  • “How could a woman ever possibly fight in this?” – Diana
“Fight?  We use our principles.  Although, I’m not opposed to using fisty cuffs, should the need arise.” – Etta (Lucy Davis)
  • “Please put down the sword.” – Steve
“It doesn’t go with the outfit.” – Etta
  • “Welcome to jolly ‘ole London!” – Steve
“It’s hideous!” – Diana
“Yeah, it’s not for everyone.” – Steve
  • “You’re a man.” – Diana
“Yeah. I mean, don’t I look like one?” – Steve
  • “Stand back!  Or maybe not.” – Steve
  • “I’m both frightened and aroused.” – Sameer  (Said Taghmaoui)
  • “You should be very proud!” – Diana after she tastes a vendor’s ice cream.  I feel that way about great ice cream too.
  • “May we get what we want.  May we get what we need. But may we never get what we deserve.”  - men's toast at campfire


Tips for parents: 

  • I love that the heroine is good.  She's someone I wouldn't mind my daughters emulating...if I had daughters.  I guess she's someone I wouldn't mind my sons marrying.  :)
  • You see a LOT of Chris Pine…bare naked after a bath while he covers his junk with his hands.
  • A man and woman close the door and a sexual romp is implied.
  • Lots of violence, destruction, and explosions.
  • At 141 minutes, it’s a long movie that a lot of little ones won’t be able to sit through.
  • In the comics, the war is WWII, but the director chose to highlight WWI in the movie.  Parents might need to explain the differences between those two wars.

No comments: