Monday, March 14, 2016

War Room empowers Christians to use prayer as a powerful weapon

I usually review new movies right when they hit theaters, but I missed this one and finally had time to see it and wanted to be sure you knew about it!


Movie Title:      War Room

Grade:   A-

Rating:   PG, 2 hours

In a Nutshell:    By AffirmFilms,  this faith-inspiring film will empower Christians to use prayer as a powerful weapon in their lives.  The film is definitely geared towards viewers who are already Christians with the intent to motivate us to be “hot” in our faith, not luke warm. 

I love the concept of battling for our loved ones with a strategy in our prayers so that our faith has true power.

Uplifting theme: 
  •  “The life we’re given should never be taken for granted.” – Miss Clara (Karen Abercrombie)
  • “To win any battle, you’ve got to have the right strategy and resources and victories don’t come by accident.” – Miss Clara
  • It takes courage to live the gospel.

Things I liked:
  • I love the idea of Clara's “Prayers Answered” frame on the wall upstairs, a document that lists blessings received.
  • Not everyone is lucky enough to have their own private closet like Clara's or Elizabeth's, but we can find some place in our home to turn into a War Room .
  • Clara makes for a great preacher.
  • I wish I could cry like Priscilla Shirer does…just delicate, sincere tears, unlike when I cry and my whole face turns red and puffy while my nose runs.  ha ha
  • Imagine how we could bind Satan if we all gave speeches to him like the the one Elizabeth did that one night outside her front door.
  • Clara was adorable with her "dumb" phone and smart phone.
  • I love how well-worn Clara’s scriptures were.
  • I know it was just a movie, but the grace felt real. 
  • I love how Clara taught Elizabeth that she can't change anyone; the Lord is the only one who can.
  • The production value was one of the best I've seen for a Christian movie.  Christian films can often look so cheesy with wooden actors.

Things I didn’t like:
  • It is heavy-handed preaching.  Non-Christian critics think the movie is ridiculous.
  • Even with faithful prayer, not all of our prayers are tied up in a neat bow in the end like in this movie.  Life is hard and full of things that don't go our way.
  • Some of the acting was a bit stiff and surface-level.


Funny lines:
  •  “You know what my mama used to say to me?  She said submitting to your husband is so you can duck so the Lord can hit your husband.” – Mandy (Beth Moore)
  • “Oh Devil!  You just got your but kicked!” - Clara 

Interesting lines:
  • “Just because you argue doesn’t mean you fight well.” – Clara
  • “When I fought against my husband, I was fighting against my own husband and my family.” – Clara
  • “Why did you do that?” –  Danielle Jordan (Alena Pitts)
“Because that’s how I wanted to be treated by him.” - Tony Jordan (T.C. Stallings)
  • “I would rather have a man chasing Jesus than a house full of stuff.” – Elizabeth
Tips for parents:   

  • The film deals with issues of marital fidelity and corporate stealing.
  • No profanity.
This film is now available on DVD at:

No comments: