Friday, March 6, 2015

SpongeBob brings nautical nonsense to the big screen


PG, 1 hour 40 minutes

Grade:  A

In a Nutshell:  If you love SpongeBob SquarePants, then you’ll get a kick out of this colorful movie adventure by United Plankton Pictures.  The beloved pineapple-dwelling sea creature, plus the wonderful Antonio Banderas and all of your favorite Bikini Bottom characters are featured.  It’s been 15 years since we had a SpongeBob movie.  This one is just as entertaining and random as the last one, filled with nonstop gags and nautical nonsense.




Uplifting Theme:
·         Teamwork and friendship
·         Do the right thing
·         Don’t judge someone without knowing all of the facts

Things I liked:
·         My kids grew up watching SpongeBob, and they’re now in their 20’s, so this movie’s fan base isn’t limited to rug rats.  There are a lot of physical and visual gags that adults will enjoy.  I laughed out loud a bunch of times for the sheer silliness of it all.
·         Be ready for lots of puns, including a “Bad Punz” band to celebrate them.
·         Look for the little details in every scene, and look fast because everything moves quickly!
·         I love the mixing of real life with animation.  The seagulls with Antonio Banderas were pretty cute.
·         Who doesn’t love Antonio Banderas?
-     Crabby Patties....mmmmm...
-     You'll never look at a sponge the same way again.  ha ha
-     Clever ending with the pirate singing in classic Spongebob fashion.

Things I didn’t like:
·         There are MANY jokes about pooping and passing gas.  I have to put this under the category of things I didn’t like, because I’m a mother, but I confess that they made me laugh every time.
·         Not worth paying extra for 3D.  Buy popcorn instead.
-   Every scene with Bubbles the dolphin is just too weird.



Funny lines:
·         “Welcome to the apocalypse, Mr. Squidward.  I hope you like wearing leather.” – Mr. Krabs  (Timed well for the release of the Mad Max movie, some of the characters wear Mad Max leather outfits during a funny post-apocalyptic scene.)
·         “It’s raining…tanks!” – random sea creature
“You’re welcome!” – Plankton
·         “Come on, SpongeBob!  Join me!  We’ll be rich and powerful until I betray you.” – Plankton
-  "I really blew it.  No, WE blew it...we're a team."  - Spongebob
    "No.  This one's on you."  - Patrick

Tips for Parents:
·         Exaggerated cartoon slapstick and violence
·         Clean language, but insult language (“jerk”, “stupid”)

·         Lots of skin…a lot of the movie takes place on the beach.

You'll want this one in your video library:


And while you're watching the movie, enjoy these Crabby Patty snacks!



No comments: