Tuesday, February 25, 2014

3 Days to Kill movie review




Movie Title:   3 Days to Kill
PG-13, 1 hour 40 minutes

Grade:   B


In a Nutshell:   I’ve seen this movie a million times.  Of course, I haven’t seen this actual movie before, but it sure felt like it.  It’s pretty formulaic: crusty old international spy…done.  Creepy looking villain who just won’t die…done.  Obligatory car chase scene…done.  Snarky teenage daughter who has a conflicted relationship with her absentee father…done.  Sexy vixen spy who always has a cigarette in her hand and who is too cool and hardened for her young age…done.  Absentee father trying to reconcile with his family….done.  Sweet revenge…done.

Don’t get me wrong.  If you love all that stuff (I do!), you’ll be entertained.  If you’re looking for a fresh story, move on.  Writer Luc Besson can pump out action-thrillers that will help you pass a fun hour and half with a bowl of popcorn, but not deep story lines that will spark a very long dinner conversation.  If you enjoyed his recent flicks The Transporter , Lockout and The Family , then you’ll get a kick out of this one as well.

Uplifting theme:   
  • Unfortunately, many people wait until they hear the big “C” word (cancer) from their doctor to start prioritizing what’s truly important in life.  It always comes back to family.  The movie addresses the constant battle to balance work and family life. 
  • The father rescues his daughter several times and she rescues him right back.

Things I liked:
  •  I loved the daughter’s obnoxious ring tone I Love It (I Don't Care)   I hate that stupid song and thought it fit the bratty daughter’s personality perfectly.
  • Cute twin girls.  I have a twin sister!
  • The movie takes place in beautiful Paris.  You get to enjoy lots of views of the Eifel Tower.
  • The comical relationship between Ethan and Mitat, the father of the twins, who he tries to get information from…professional and parenting information.  I've always enjoyed Kevin Costner who does a great job at playing the straight man with humor.
  • Ethan’s wife is beautiful, played by the stunning Connie Nielsen.  She kind of reminds me of Diane Lane, whom I recently met in person!   Below is a terrible picture of me, but isn't she cute?

Things I didn’t like:
  •  Kevin Costner’s gravelly voice.  He reminded me of Christian Bale’s voice in Batman's I Love It (I Don't Care) .
  • There is a scene were the vixen CIA agent (Amber Heard) and Kevin Costner argue about goatees and young men right after he kills people.  It’s supposed to be witty and charming, but it’s not quite a successful effort.  3 more days on the script could have put together better playful banter for the entire movie.
  • It’s silly that an experienced assassin would be flustered by almost anything.
  • I hate it when rude teenagers call their dad by their first name in an act of defiance because they don’t think their dad has been a good father.  It’s been done a million times in movies and always bugs me.
  • “What kind of kid doesn’t know how to ride a bike?” asks Ethan.  His daughter hurls “The kind of kid who doesn’t have a father to teach her.”  I saw that line coming a million miles away.  Of course she doesn’t know how to dance either, so they share bonding moments riding a bike and learning how to dance.  Cookie-cutter scenes.
  • The names of the bad guys aren’t the most original or awe-inspiring: The Wolf and The Albino. 

Funny lines:
  •  “Ethan, don’t say anything weird.”  - Daughter says to her dad when she leaves him alone with her boyfriend to talk for a few minutes

Tips for parents:   Decapitation, shooting, torture with some blood.

No comments: